Photography. Australia. Documenting my time down under.

3.10.2011

It's not wrong, it's just different: Driving down under (Feb. 11)


(To see more photos of the Chevron Island fishermen, click here.)


Thursday night as we pondered where to go, we decided that this weekend was the weekend to take our first stab at renting a car so we could drive down to Byron Bay to watch the sunrise over the lighthouse.

We headed to Avis on Friday afternoon to collect our rental car and spend a few hours figuring out how to drive on the opposite side of the road. After getting the car our first stop was a nearby shopping mall where I picked up film for my Holga camera and then we headed down to the beach. The sun was starting to set and it was getting pretty windy so we packed up quickly and kept driving. One of my photo assignments for the weekend was ‘silhouettes’ so as we passed several fishermen along the wharf with the sun setting behind them, I just had to stop.

Learning to drive the car on the opposite side of the road wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be. I just found myself repeating “drive on the left, drive on the left,” whenever I got into a confusing situation (like a round-a-bout, of which there are way too many!).

Eventually we made our way back to the Meriton, found a spot in the parking garage and headed up to our apartment to prepare for our crack of dawn awakening. 


No comments: